Cell phones and Social Media in the Classroom.


    When I think about cellphone usage in schools, I have an internal war with myself. On one hand, cellphone use can impede on a child's educational process if they are paying more attention to their phone than to the lesson. On the other hand, phones have become a very relevant part of our society and to completely ban them makes me feel like there is a blind eye being turned to this significant part of our reality. I will admit that I often used my phone when I was in school, mostly to speak with my mom, but also to talk with friends, or my coaches, and sometimes just to listen to music. With that being said, my grades didn't suffer as I didn't allow my phone usage to impact my education. I would feel extremely hypocritical to completely ban cell phones from my classroom.

    Even though I would allow my students to keep their cell phones, It will come with an understanding of mutual respect and boundaries. The use of social media would be limited in my class unless they could prove the relevance to the project. It has been noted in studies that there is a correlation between social media use and depression and anxiety (Kamenetz, 2019). I feel at this point it is important to note that that does not mean that the relationship between the two is casual, meaning that overuse of social media will result in depression and anxiety, but rather that the two are connected in some way. Social media is designed to maintain the attention of its users, and that's how they make their money (Willett, 2019). Social media companies are not concerned about the effects their product has on the mental health of their users. I will allow my students to have their phones in my class, but I want them to understand the effects of social media and the importance of being able to take a break from it. 

    We cannot pretend that social media will not be a relevant part of life for our students, especially as they get older. Teaching students to abstain from social media altogether reminds me of the arguments to teach abstinence as the main form of birth control. It is unrealistic and out of touch with reality. It would be more productive to teach your students about proper social media usage and understand the effect social media can have on a person (Klein, 2019). In recent years depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and suicide have all risen with the use of social media (Willett, 2019). Students need to understand that most things on the internet are not real or have been doctored. This may seem like common sense, but I even remember my grandma saying “It was on Facebook so it has to be true.” Social media often forsters feelings of envy in the form of “likes” (Willett, 2019). Social media teachings would pair well with self-confidence lessons. Helping foster self-love in your students may help them curve the envy of others' lives. 

    The effects of social media are not all bad. Social media can also add a new dynamic to the learning process. It may help connect students to places that they cannot physically visit (McCrann, 2016).  Using social media in the classroom can also model to students how to responsibly use it (McCrann, 2016). Allowing students to keep their phones and facilitating proper and responsible use feels more productive than trying to deprive students of their phones and struggle to maintain their attention and respect. 



Resources:

McCrann, J. T. (2016, March 18). Social Media Opens Conversations (Opinion). Education Week. https://www.edweek.org/leadership/opinion-social-media-opens-conversations/2016/03


Kamenetz, A. (2019, August 27). NPR's The Scientific Debate over Teens, Screens, and Mental Health. National Public Radio. https://www.npr.org/2019/08/27/754362629/the-scientific-debate-over-teens-screens-and-mental-health?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20190901&utm_campaign=ed&utm_term=nprnews&utm_id=25646263 


Klein, A. (2019, September 6). Schools say no to cell phones. But is it a smart move? Education Week. https://www.edweek.org/technology/schools-say-no-to-cellphones-in-class-but-is-it-a-smart-move/2019/09 



Willett, R. (Director). (2019). Plugged-In: The Toxicity of Social Media Revealed. [YouTube Video]. Brick in the Wall Media. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVprI6_P8

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor! I really like your blog post and I think it gave me new insight on cell phone usage in schools. Being allowed to use phones was not permitted in my school, so it is very interesting to see your viewpoint on it. I think it is amazing that you used it responsibly. I do think that you were apart of a small group of teens who used their cell phones responsibly. However, with the right education in classrooms like you suggest, the number of students who use phones responsibly would increase. I do also like how you included that technology is the future, and we can't stray away from it. Self-love is a key factor in ensuring that students (teens especially) understand that social media is just social media and not real life. The spin you put on social media use is informative and eye-opening. I have a new perspective on it after reading this blog post. I do still believe this would work best at a secondary level and not for elementary level, which I plan on going into. I think you did a great job and I really enjoyed reading your blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inhalants and Drug Abuse.

Temporarily Housed Students